Have you ever wanted to try making your dog treats from your own kitchen but were intimidated to try it? Well don’t be! Making treats at home for your pup is not only super easy, but also a ton of fun! This recipe was found on a blog called Pinch of Yum (link to original post can be found here), but the simplicity and beauty of these dog biscuits were so awesome we had to share them. Also, making treats at home also guarantees that no nasty, unwanted ingredients get fed to your dog without you knowing, so Fido can enjoy his fresh-off-the-oven, homemade cookie that is both safe and healthy.
Just look at these beauties! Don’t you almost want to try one, too?
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 1 cup pumpkin
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil*
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, melted
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine pumpkin, peanut butter, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Add in baking soda and whole wheat flour. Stir until a stiff dough forms. Knead dough or mix just until flour is incorporated.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut out dog bone shapes, or just bake into little circles like cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the bacon grease and peanut butter until very smooth. Drizzle over the treats and cool till glaze hardens (it does best in the fridge or freezer).